1.20.2014

Bringing in a bit of sunshine

We're at it again! I think I go in waves of wanting to do painting projects. I love bringing color into the house and I'd rather just do a bunch of projects around the same time so I don't have to keep bringing out and putting away the mess that goes with it. Ha.

Because of the new green dressers in our bedroom (thanks again, honey!), we had some old dressers up for grabs for something else in our home. I thought our long dresser could work as a changing table for Jack. His old changing table was nice, but it was a light green color that was all scratched up (because we didn't paint a layer of sealer after the paint back in the day) and so dang heavy that I hated moving it and sort of hated the thought of keeping it for (hopefully) any future babies. I've been wanting to change up his nursery color scheme from light green, turquoise, grey, and white to yellow, navy, grey, and white (I'll show some photos of his nursery one of these days). Aha! Let's paint the old dresser yellow!

This dresser was given to me by my dear friend in college and has been with me ever since. I think the hardware looks so neat and kind of vintage!

Before.


I used a liquid deglosser, white primer (not pictured), yellow paint and a wood finish for this project.



First, I unscrewed all of the hardware from the drawers.



Then, using an old cloth, I wiped a layer of the liquid deglosser all over the wood. Once that was good and dry, we painted one layer of white primer.



Next came our yellow paint! We ended up painting three coats over the next few days (our only available time is nap time and night time, of course). The color we chose was a nice light yellow with a honey tint called Beehive by Valspar Signature from Lowe's. After the paint was completely dry it was on to the smelly stuff (be sure to ventilate!). We painted two coats of Varathane Wood Floor Finish to seal and protect. Because it was cold, we let each coat sit for 24-48 hours to make sure it was dry and not sticky. Once everything was set, we screwed the hardware back into the drawers and it was done! It's so fun having a yellow piece of furniture in the house!

What do you think?



4 comments:

  1. Haha, I LOVE it! I forgot you had that thing! I wondered how you painted it when it was so shiny. It looks so good now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've always wanted to paint it but wasn't sure if paint would stick to the smooth and shiny surface it had! Glad I finally tried to do it!

      Delete
  2. I love it! I can't wait to see Jack's room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm still working on it and he's almost 16 months! Ha.

      Delete