1.26.2014

Yarn letters

Here's a quick, inexpensive project to add to your gallery wall or to a shelf in your child's room-yarn letters! I've seen these letters in a few homes and wanted to make one for Jack's room. And, while I was at it, one for our gallery wall in the living room. I found the cardboard-like three dimensional letters at Hobby Lobby for under $3 (and then I used a 40% off coupon). I bought some navy yarn, also for under $3, and already had some yellow and teal to choose from at home.



The "E" for the living room looked easier to do (no curves) then the "J" for Jack's room (with a curve), so I started with that. First, I wrapped the yarn across the "E" horizontally.


I left a few inches of yarn at the beginning and the end of the wrap, and then tied a knot with it and the newly wrapped yarn. Be sure to always do that on the back of the letter so the front is nice and clean. I'll probably add a dot of hot glue later if anything looks loosey goosey. Next, I wrapped the "E" vertically. This left the corners bare, but I'm not sure what to do for those or if that even bothers me or not (any ideas?).



And...there we have it!



I decided I will probably pod modge some fabric onto the "J". I started to wrap yarn around the "J" but couldn't get it to look right without it being too thick in certain areas, because of the curve of the letter. I'll share that another day with the rest of Jack's room. (Yahoo! It will be great to finally feel like that room is done!)

2 comments:

  1. Those are cute! Wish I had a Hobby Lobby close by :) I can't wait to see Jack's room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, I kind of love Hobby Lobby. I'm surprised there isn't one in St. George! Hopefully soon.

      Delete